I am Jazz by Jazz Jennings & Jessica Herthel

Cover of "I am Jazz" by Jessica Herthal & Jazz JenningsRecommended Age: 4 - 8

Citation: Herthel, J. & Jennings, J. (2014). I am Jazz (S. McNicholas, Illus.). Dial Books.

 

I Am Jazz is a book written by a transgender teen who grew up in a world that treated her very differently to her peers. In this children's book she explores her transition in a colourful and relatable way. Jazz shows other children that being different it ok, since that’s what makes us unique. 

This book is great for audiences 4-8, as the themes are difficult but are laid out in a way that children can understand. My only issue with this book is that it is almost too simplified; I get the age target, but it feels to me that it doesn’t hit on some of the deeper issues that should be explored. Overall, this is a 9/10 because it deals with a difficult theme that is easily conveyed to children.