Recommended Age: 6-9
Citation: Lumbard, R. Y. (2019). The gift of Ramadan (L. K. Horton, Illus.). Albert Whitman & Company.
It’s Ramadan, and Sophie wants to try fasting. However, hunger and temptation creates challenges for her. She learns about all the different ways to celebrate Ramadan from her family.
When I was younger, books about Ramadan were few and I never found the art styles available all that appealing. I love the art style of this book, so I’m glad to see more variety in representation.
Sophie didn’t reprimand her brother for teasing her because she was trying to be virtuous for Ramadan, which was explained in the notes at the end. But, that wasn’t clear during the story.
Overall, I like seeing a very casual representation of Ramadan. The author could have chosen to present as many iconic cultural foods, but that wouldn’t have been realistic. Showing fruit salad being eaten for suhoor was refreshing.
