Thirteen Ways of Looking at a Black Boy by Tony Medina

Cover of "Thirteen Ways of Looking at a Black Boy" by Tony Medina
Recommended Age: 5 - 10

Citation: Medina, T. (2018). Thirteen ways of looking at a black boy (F. Cooper, Illus.; C. A. Cabrera, Illus.; S. Hill, Illus.; T. McKnight, Illus.; R. Lieu-Trujillo, Illus.; K. Mallet, Illus.; S. K. Alexander, Illus.; K. Bruce, Illus.; B. McCarthy, Illus.; R. G. Christie, Illus.; E. Holmes, Illus.; J. Steptoe, Illus.; C. Cox, Illus.). Penny Candy Books.

 

A collection of poetry spotlighting different elements of Black boyhood. A different artist did the illustration for each tanka poem.

These are all quite lovely, and I’m sure if I had a better appreciate for poetry, I would’ve enjoyed it even more. I dwelled on the illustrations more and found the details each artist chose to include heartwarming. By bringing their unique styles to the work, they each emphasize different elements of and perspectives on Black boyhood. More traditional mediums like oil painting were placed alongside newer, more rebellious mediums like graffiti, further embracing the complexity in perceptions.

When more and more Black boys are being treated as threats, it’s important to see them living their lives and appreciating their culture, something I feel this book does well to do and encourage. They are as deserving of joy as the rest of us.

 

Note: The title may be a play on “Thirteen Ways of Looking at a Black Bird” by Wallace Stevens, but the poems themselves are unrelated.