I Must Betray You by Ruta Sepetys

Cover of "I Must Betray You" by Ruta Sepetys
Recommended Age: 15 & up

Citation: Sepetys, R. (2022). I must betray you (E. Ballerini, Narr.; R. Sepetys, Narr.) [Audiobook]. Listening Library.


“You are a liar. You are an informant.” 

While living in Communist Romania on the brink of revolution, Christian Florescu is recruited as an informant by the government. Between illegal movie nights and his own paranoia, Christian must decide what to keep close to his heart and what the rest of the world needs to know. 

Information is a currency in I Must Betray You and in real life. Language, too, is almost a character in this novel, as each character must decide for themselves what they believe and what they’re willing to fight for. Speaking of, the finale of the novel gets rather graphic, so sensitive readers should be advised. 

Sepetys is well-acclaimed for her historical fiction, and I Must Betray You is no exception. She is skillful in her empathy and her throughout research is on display in every element of the text, even providing further reading at the end.