I Used to Think I Could Fly by Tate McRae

Cover of "I Used to Think I Could Fly" by Tate McRae
Recommended Age: 13 & up

Citation: McRae, T. (2022). I Used to Think I Could Fly  [Album]. RCA Records. 

 

Tate McRae is a 19-year-old recording artist from Alberta. She has gained a large online presence through social media and television shows over the years. Starting in 2016 she ended in third place in So You Think You Can Dance: The Next Generation; this launched her career into music as she released her first single in 2017. Her first album was released in 2021, proceeded by I Used to Think I Could Fly which was released in May 2022. She has gained a large TikTok following as well, with 4.4 million followers. 

Her pop, upbeat sound with catchy lyrics make her a rising star in the pop music scene. The second single from the album is “She’s All I Wanna Be.” This song was launched with teaser content on TikTok causing many users on the app to use her song and attract viewers to her page.  Overall assessment- 3/5 stars. Tate has a catchy lyrics and music that makes you want to dance and sing along. Her platform online is a great marketing tool including her TikTok dances and clips of her songs. Her music is very relatable to teens, and she is setting herself apart to be a big pop star.