Citation: Haddix, M. P. (1999). Just Ella. Simon & Schuster.
In this re-imagining of the classic fairytale Cinderella, the titular princess realizes that palace life isn’t what she had hoped it would be. Engaged for her beauty, not love, Ella must embark on another dangerous adventure if she wants to get the happy ending that was promised.
Even with potential trigger warnings for period-typical misogyny, threats of violence, and implied threats of sexual assault aside, Just Ella offers readers a take on the classic Cinderella story that may be its most empowering version. Ella is intelligent but compassionate, bound by her heart but not necessarily by love, and refuses to sit back and let others dictate her life for her. The story is well-written, easy to follow, and perfect for youth 12 and up.
Picking it up years later, I’m pleased to report that my perception of the book hasn’t changed. It’s still an incredibly enjoyable story, the main character remained as strong-willed as I remembered, and I loved getting the chance to revisit an old favorite.
