Citation: Terciero, R. (2019). Meg, Jo, Beth, and Amy: A modern graphic retelling of little women (B. Indigo, Illus.). Hachette Book Group.
This modern retelling of Little Women features the March sisters as members of a blended family living together in New York City. With their father serving in the military overseas, the March sisters support each other through matters of school, love, health, and identity.
Retellings of classics are an incredible way to get youth interested not only in the original books but in reading in general. For anyone intimidated by the large page-count or wording of the original Little Women, Meg, Jo, Beth, And Amy offers them the chance to engage with the story in a way that is a little more manageable. Or for those who already read Little Women and wanted Beth to survive.
Speaking of Beth, the way Terciero & Indigo update the March sisters to fit in a modern setting allows the characters to blossom in a way that remains faithful to the original story while simultaneously exploring topics and ideas that would not have been possible in the Victorian era. This graphic novel is perfect for ages 12 and up, with potential trigger warnings for injury, potential loss of a parent, and cancer.
As someone who has never read Little Women or seen any of the film adaptations, I didn’t really know what I was getting into when I started reading this graphic novel. Terciero & Indigo’s version has made me want to go pick up the original. If that’s not the ultimate compliment to this work, because I had zero desire to read Little Women before, then I don’t know what is.
