Citation: Doyle, R. (2008). Not just for Christmas. Gemma Media.
This book follows the lead up and the meeting of two brothers, Danny and Jimmy, who have not seen each other in over 20 years. Meeting up for a beer at the pub, the two brothers reflect on their lives, their family, and their actions.
The novel is only 90 pages, but somehow Doyle doesn’t leave anything out - there is time spent describing the brothers’ childhood and teenage fighting, and the events that have fractured their relationship. I picked this up thinking it would be suitable for young people, but there are some mature themes throughout that should be acknowledged before reading (and due to this, I would suggest this title for those in the older half of teenage-hood). This was published in a series of literature that was created for adults learning to read.
(I can’t say this was my favourite out of all the selections).
