Citation: Vedder, L. (2022). The bone spindle. Razorbill.
Fi, a treasure hunter, and Shane, a mercenary, meet in a tavern, determined to combine their strengths to retrieve some of the last artifacts from the century-long abandoned kingdom of Andar. Even with their brawn and brain, Fi still finds herself falling into yet another magic curse, where she must travel to Andar to wake the sleeping prince.
Because of my love for Disney’s Sleeping Beauty (1959), I’ve indulged in many retellings, and The Bone Spindle definitely ranks as one of my favourites (I would recommend A Spindle Splintered (Harrow, 2021) as well!). Embracing a queer-normative world erases a lot of the frustration I have with high fantasy narratives that insist on “historical accuracy” and allows for unique relationship dilemmas.
The plot itself was a bit winding given the exploration and adventuring angle, but as the set-up to a trilogy it has a lot of potential.
