Never Have I Ever created by Mindy Kaling

Poster for Netflix's "Never Have I Ever"
Recommended Age: 13 & up

Citation: Kaling, M. & Fisher, L. (Writer & Director). (2020-2022). Never have I ever [TV series]. Netflix.


Never Have I Ever follows Devi an Indian American Tamil girl from California as she navigates high school, romance, and grief. After the loss of her father Devi loses the sensation in her legs making it impossible for her to walk. A sighting of her crush has her standing again and sets off Devi’s search for romance. 

A show that has similar themes is Sex Education (Nunn, 2019-present), as both shows deal with students coming to terms with their sexuality. The show also holds similarities to The Summer I Turned Pretty (Han, 2022) which also features a love triangle. 

This show is appealing because it doesn’t sugar coat the issues that teens deal with and it features main characters from all different cultural backgrounds. Overall, this is a really funny, charming show that many teens would enjoy and relate to. 


Check out our other review of Never Have I Ever here!